Pine Siskins at Risk at Your Feeders?

posted in: Golden Eagle Update | 0
pine siskin dead janice barbary 382_crSeveral community members have found sick Pine Siskins at their feeder.  Unfortunately, those brought to the songbird team have not survived.  According to Janice Barbary, Pine Siskins are very susceptible to salmonella and usually die within 24 hours of exposure.   She recommends that everyone remember to clean their feeders regularly with bleach to reduce the chance of diseases spreading.  For more information on Pine Siskins and salmonella see article on Ca Department of Fish and Wildlife Website.