Small Mammal First Aid - cawildlifeopossom2

Small Mammal Emergency

  • Call (530) 432-5522. This is our answering service number operating 24/7. A volunteer will be notified and call you back as soon as possible.
  • Do not give the animal any food or water. An animal that is chilled or dehydrated cannot process food and if fed, could compromise it further causing death.
  • Keep the box in a dark, quiet place away from people

Guidelines for Handling Sick, Injured or Orphaned Native Wildlife

We do not recommend members of the public handle wild animals, however there are times when it is the only way to get an animal the help it may need. If you must confine an injured or orphaned animal:

  • Heavy leather gloves are necessary for handling mammals.
  • Wash your hands immediately before and after handling the animal.
  • Do not give the animal any food or water (except hummingbirds)
  • Line an escape proof, ventilated box, animal carrier or similar type container with old t-shirts or soft cloths (not terry cloth which can catch on toenails or claws). Place the animal in the box, cover the container with a light sheet or towel, and put it in a warm, dark, quiet place away from pets and children until you can get it to a wildlife center or are able to connect with a small mammal team volunteer. If traveling with the animal in the care, please no talking, car radios or smoking to minimize additional fear.
  • An injured or sick animal will likely be in shock or may be chilled from exposure. Wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and place it inside the container next to the animal. Or if able, place a heating pad under half the container until a small mammal volunteer arrives.

Animals Trapped in the House or Garage

  • Open a door or window to the outside and close off any doors to other rooms.
  • Leave the animal alone in the dark and quiet, and it will probably find its way out.

Injured animals in roads or yards

  • Do not give the animal any food or water. An animal that is chilled or dehydrated cannot process food. Feeding it or giving it water could compromise it further and lead to its death.
  • Keep the box in a dark, quiet place, away from people and pets!

CALL WR&R EMERGENCY HOT LINE:  530-432-5522. This is the answering service number that operates 24 hours a day/7 days a week/ 365 days a year. A volunteer rehabber will call you back as soon as possible.

For animals that have died or deer/other large injured mammals

Nevada County – deer collision/deer dies – contact NC Public Works – 530-273-6117
Nevada County – deer collision/deer still alive – contact Animal Control – 530-265-1471
Nevada County – dead animal on your property – 866-487-3323 (fee charged)
Yuba County – any deer collision contact – Animal Control – 530-741-6478.
Sutter County – deer collision along State Hwy – contact Caltrans – 916-859-7810.
Sutter County – deer collision on local roads – contact Animal Control – 530-822-7375